Period sex on wedding night? :(

What's supposed to happen on the wedding night? Will it hurt? What if I'm not a virgin? ...

Re: Period sex on wedding night? :(

Postby InGodsGrace » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:18 am

beautyfromashes wrote:To look on the positive side, if you have your period on your wedding night, you probably won't have to worry about a honeymoon baby. ;)

My brother is a period baby, don't count on it.
InGodsGrace
Blanket on a secluded beach!

Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby beautyfromashes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 am

Hence the "probably". ;)
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow
beautyfromashes
Under the stars

Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby Ruth7 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:00 am

Hahaha well, that's all in Gods hands too :)) :wink:
Ruth7
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): September 14th, 2013

Postby HeatherF » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm

You should be safe to have sex the first 5 days of your period, because it's quite rare to have ovulation as early as day 10. But as others have said, it can be possible. Any later than 5 days, and you're really taking risks. Also, unless you're charting, you can't be sure that bleeding is a true period (actually the start of a brand new cycle). Sometimes you can skip an ovulation, but still bleed at pretty much the usual time. That happened to me once. That is not a true period. And some women can mistake mid-cycle spotting for the start of a cycle. So long story short, unless you are formally charting your cycle, you can't be sure that you truly are in those first 5 days of your cycle.

But I do recommend learning how to chart! Even if you don't end up using it long term, it teaches so much about your body and how it works. You can use the technique to avoid pregnancy, and to achieve it! The book I learned it from was Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
HeatherF
Twin size

Date of your marriage (past or future): October 22nd, 2011

Postby Job29Man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:57 am

One man's perspective here, remembering the dynamics of DW Sarah and me on our wedding night. 20/20 hindsight and all that.

We had a 6 week engagement, so we were able to set a wedding date with high assurance to miss her period. Her period ended about a week before our wedding.
If it had started the day of or the day before the wedding; if she had a heavier flow (anything more than very light) I think we would have preferred to wait for PIV until the flow lightened up a lot. There's plenty to do on a honeymoon besides PIV in the first 3 days, and waiting for PIV seems to make sense especially if you can swing a 2 week honeymoon like we did. For us, I think maybe we would have waited (er... I think... maybe, yeah).
Surefire marriage formulae don't exist. But Biblical principles about human nature and marriage do exist, and should be heeded. We ignore them at our peril.
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 3rd, 1980

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am

Discuss it with your husband.

We successfully planned our honeymoon around it, but planned on waiting until it was over if we didn't manage to time it right (my idea mainly). However, now after having actually experienced sex during menstruation, I have to say that it isn't that big a deal. Now, I'd say go for it. Not that much messier, just a different color.

One thing DW would do sometimes is insert a fresh tampon several minutes before, and remove it just before sex of course. It soaks up the worst of it. Unlike cups and sponges, tampons are readily available.
ledgemoor

Date of your marriage (past or future): June 2nd, 1982

Postby Mission » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm

It was not problem for my wife or I. Her cycle change was nearly in identical issue. Y'all have have as much fun as your comfortable with that night. It's a special start to an amazing life together.
Mission

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 6th, 2012

Postby jsaw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 pm

We just used a condom, no big deal.
jsaw
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): May 16th, 1998

Postby SeekingChange » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm sure I would have felt the same way you are feeling if I was in the same place, but now on the other side, as many have said, it's really no big deal. 1. If you're really not comfortable doing anything while you are menstruating, what's a few more nights of waiting? 2. There are some of us, where that week is some of best feeling sex there is. Take a dark towel to put under you so you get nothing on the sheets.

Talk to your fiance and see how he feels about it, and you can decide together what to do if it happens.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
SeekingChange
Under the stars

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby WifeysWarrior » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:08 pm

This happened to us on the night of our honeymoon, which coincidentally was a few days ago (3rd anniversary). My bride was soooooo entirely stressed out by all of the events of planning and last minute changes (We went from having a big wedding, to having a small wedding at a destination resort with the two of us and a limited amount of family), that it prolonged prolonged her cycle for almost 3wks. :( Not long after we consummated (literally 20-30 seconds), it instantly came on, which of course, made her feel horribly low.... :oops: After giving her a few hours to herself, we talked about her feelings and she had a good cry. I let her know that I was not grossed out by it, and that I accepted every part of her. After talking, we found out that she and I both didn't think of it as sin, and from previous conversations she ultimately was under the asumption that I would reject it. Later that night she found the strength to approach me and we haven't gone back since.

In reality, if you can, try to keep your stress level to a minimum. Have a talk with him about the possibility of this happening, and if intimacy (whether it be the traditional way or "other ways") is an option on the table.
WifeysWarrior
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 16th, 2010

Postby Ruth7 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks y'all :) df and I talked a little bit about it. His view was more like, 'we have to embrace this at some point. May as well be then.' He assured me that while its not first choice by a long shot, that he respects my body and doesn't think it should hinder us. He was really level headed and calm which made me feel better. Besides the idea that our first sex experience would be on my period and that's noooooot romantic-- My only real hesitation was that he would be let down and grossed out--- and I told myself that if he's cool I'll be cool with it. He deserves a great wedding night, so do I-- and just bc it's not ideal doesn't mean that I have a plague and should be quarantined. As for all the other sexual acts we could do besides actual intercourse...that's valid, but would probably seem really strange, bc I don't think we'd consider that actual 'consummation,'.....^^

Sooooo the plan is to bless The Lord and get things started :mrgreen:

((Still praying I don't start though ;)) #hereshoping :wink:
Ruth7
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): September 14th, 2013

Postby txtwindad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 pm

I think you both have the right attitude to make for a life long passionate marriage. Sounds like a good guy you've got there. Congratulations to you both.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel
txtwindad
Under the stars

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Postby The_drumr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07 am

My wife and I came really close to it. Her period started the day after our wedding night, but at least we got it in (literally...) on our wedding night so that was definitely something special. Yeah, I was disappointed we couldn't have intercourse during our honeymoon but that left plenty of time for her to finish me [mod edit] manually as well as back massages for me :) In the end, it's all good. No worries, you will have the rest of your lives to enjoy sex.
The_drumr
Twin size

Date of your marriage (past or future): May 25th, 2012

Postby ledgemoor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 am

Glad he has a good attitude about it. I'm certain he will be glad he went for it.

I had another thought about this: Honeymoon sex isn't the greatest anyway. The long romantic lovemaking sessions and great orgasms come later. Becoming really good in bed takes some time. Nonetheless, the honeymoon it is wonderful, special time. You do become officially married! But is more about discovering each other, getting to know each other, and falling deeper in love. Having your period really won't get in the way of that very much at all. Not ideal certainly, but not as big a deal as later when you have been married 20 years, and are planning a great long weekend away from the kids :-)

Actually, I find that there is something about sex during her period that is, how would I describe it, "intimate" or probably "endearing" would be a better word. Loving her when she is not at her best, and providing relief from her discomfort is a good thing to do. And experiencing that aspect of femininity -- not very glamorous, but definitely feminine. IMO it's something every guy ought to experience at least once. It's not like you can avoid it -- periods start at the most inopportune times :-)

DW is post-menopausal now, and it is GREAT not having to worry about cramps, PMS, keeping the sheets clean, and being able to give her OS whenever I want. Sex has never been better. But I do miss her periods in way too.

Have fun!
ledgemoor

Date of your marriage (past or future): June 2nd, 1982

Postby WifeysWarrior » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:26 am

:grin::grin::grin:thats amazing that the 2 of you were able to confront the issue!!! I wish you well with whatever your outcome is. :cool:

WW...
WifeysWarrior
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 16th, 2010

Postby Mr Moose » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Ruth,

The DW and I celebrated our 26th anniversary a few weeks ago. It was the first anniversary that DW wasn't on her period in 26 years (that includes our honeymoon). However, we were camping with our best friends in a small popup camper ;) Our honeymoon and our anniversaries have still been great and I hope yours will be too.

Mr. Moose
Mr Moose

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 15th, 1987

Postby partydelights » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Congratulations, Ruth7 for your coming marriage.

And I have to speak here because I am blessed with a wife who enjoys period sex. (In fact, I'm the "difficult" one because I don't like the "bloody mess" thereafter.)

She told me sex during her period relieve her a lot and make (painful) periods less painful. It also "regulates" her flow. (I don't really understand how she felt, but I know it does something good to her. Hence, I always comply to her wanting period sex.)

As recommended by previous poster, prepare a dark towel (big one) or something water proof to keep the sheets clean. In addition, have disposable towels nearby. Wipe before you move away from the sheets because (in my case) blood might drip and soiled the floor or uncovered sheets.

I don't know the scriptural view on period sex. If I remembered correctly, there is a Law (Moses) forbidding period sex. But I think that no longer apply to Christians. (Hope someone can clarify.)

Before I end, I like to say, from my own experience, period sex is different. Apart from the mess, I actually will give +1 (out of 10) more points than normal sex :-)

I hope this experience of mine can encourage you NOT to be overly concern. Also, share this with your FH, assuring him (if he fears blood like me), it's going to be a "bloody experience" of a lifetime many don't get to enjoy ;-)
I love my wife, that's why I crave to have sex with her.
partydelights
Queen bed

Date of your marriage (past or future): March 29th, 1997

Postby azureblue33 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:25 pm

I had a short engagement and attempted to use BC two months prior to change my period to avoid our wedding night. Instead, I just spotted for two weeks instead of having a regular flow. I was disappointed, but it didn't stop us. Really all that was unusual was our attempt to protect the bedding with towels.
Me 28, DH 32
DD age 2
TTC since 11-2013
azureblue33
Twin size

Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 2009

Postby girliegirl511 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 am

I know you said you weren't on BC of any kind. I was like that until feeling nauseated and cramping worse when I ovulated got the better of me. Doctor gave me samples of Lo Lestrin Fe(sp?) which is a low dosage, And about a week for my body to adjust. But my hormones were more balanced and symptoms during ovulation were cut dramatically. I also found I did NOT have a period!!!!! It is normal with this BC, because I was worried at first. And before I got married I skipped a pill, and instantly had a period.

Like you, I was going to be on my period during my honeymoon. And the effect of the BC was awesome! I do have minor spotting but a pantyliner does fine. I do plan on going off the BC in about 6 months, because we want to start a family.

Hope everything goes well!!!
girliegirl511
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): December 15th, 2013

Previous

Return to What Do I Need to Know About Sex? (Engaged)