Coconut oil and TTC

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?

Coconut oil and TTC

Postby BaileyB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 pm

My hubby and I have started using coconut oil as lube and love it. I am still breastfeeding so I''m pretty dry. I'm wondering if coconut oil can harm the sperm in any way if we are TTC?
BaileyB

Re: Coconut oil and TTC

Postby knight_of_god » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Coconut oil has a very low Ph level (in other words, not acidic), is completely natural (no chemicals), and semen and oil simply don't mix, so as far as I know there is no good reason to fear that it will make it hard to conceive.

I did a quick google search to see if there is something I don't know about the stuff, but the prevailing wisdom is that it is fairly neutral in the process, with some even making the claim that it increases chances of pregnancy! However, in one of those cases it was a person who said he and his significant other used it with a condom and got pregnant. That's bound to happen when you mix oil with condoms, as the oil breaks them down!

So I wouldn't set up any hopes that it will help, but don't be worried that it will hinder.

-KoG
Husband to a beautiful woman and fellow TMBer Chateau_Violet.
knight_of_god
Queen bed

Date of your marriage (past or future): July 10th, 2005

Postby girlonfire » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:46 am

DH and I were wondering this too. We wondered whether the oil might "seal" all the sperm in, and not let them through? Probably just speculation.
girlonfire
Double

Date of your marriage (past or future): July 12th, 2009

Postby knight_of_god » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Coconut Oil is a liquid at about 76 degrees, and in liquid form it won't do much to block sperm from reaching the uterus and fallopian tubes. Since the internal temperature of a woman during sexual intercourse is going to be somewhere around 99 degrees, Coconut Oil is going to be very liquid. There's really no reason to fear blockage of any kind.

-KoG
Husband to a beautiful woman and fellow TMBer Chateau_Violet.
knight_of_god
Queen bed

Date of your marriage (past or future): July 10th, 2005

Postby turquoise » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:05 am

I don't know if they've studied coconut oil at all, but I know most commercial lubes have been found to inhibit sperm, either by stopping it or slowing it down. OTOH, who wants to skip the lube if you're dry? Apparently saliva doesn't help either.

We didn't have any trouble TTC the first time around, but I was very dry after a late m/c (at 19 weeks, induction and D&C so more medically involved than most m/c) so after a few months with no luck, we tried Pre-seed. It's designed to mesh with the consistency of fertile cervical fluid. I don't know if it really does, but we did get pg the first time we used it. In terms of feel it doesn't feel as good as a lube, and you have to use an applicator to get it close to your cervix (we tried using it right out of the tube like a regular lubricator and it just didn't cut it). It's also worth noting that it's expensive, hard to find (although you can purchase it online), and doesn't have a super-long shelf life.

I'd link to the studies I'd found, but the most detailed study I came across was on the Pre-seed website--hardly unbiased information. :wink:

However, I'd still recommend it, since the bottom line is that it worked for us. :D

If you prefer to go natural, I've seen raw egg white recommended, but the ick factor (and the salmonella issue) was too big for me to overcome.
turquoise

Postby MissEm » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm

We were using it when I got pregnant the first time, so I don't think it hurts if you are TTC.
MissEm

Postby The Knight's Lady » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 pm

MissEm wrote:We were using it when I got pregnant the first time, so I don't think it hurts if you are TTC.

Ditto for us. In our case the CO didn't have a negative effect.
Married to The Lady's Knight and mommy to our little Knight and Little Lady
My blog: Homekeeping Adventures
The Knight's Lady
Hammock

Date of your marriage (past or future): June 24th, 2005

Postby MapleSyrup » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:01 pm

If you find yourself having trouble, or you're worried about it, there are specially formulated lubricants out there for couples TTC:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pre-seed.html

Like this "Pre-Seed" lube ^^^
"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave."
(Martin Luther)

Drop by my devotional blog sometime!
http://thedailystumbler.blogspot.com
for those whose faith seems to have two left feet
MapleSyrup
Hammock

Date of your marriage (past or future): August 19th, 2006

Postby blushingwife » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:02 am

Since se began using CO in 2007, we conceived and had babies twice.
If anything, it made the process lots more fun ;)
blushingwife
Under the stars

Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Return to Pregnancy and Postpartum