The OG

Rules and guidelines, and how to do things. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
tmbadmin
Site Admin

The OG

Postby tmbadmin » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:07 pm

Managing a discussion group is always a challenge, and a group discussing sexual issues has additional challenges. As the Marriage Bed e-mail list grew, Paul and Lori felt the need to have wise counsel to help us define and manage the forum. The oversight group (OG) was formed in March of 2001 to provide this help. The OG sets rules and policy, mediates problems between individuals, and keeps an eye on Paul and Lori. When The Marriage Bed became a non-profit ministry, the board of directors authorised the OG to continue to do what it had been doing so well.

The members of the OG are not identical in their views, and often when an issue arises there are various ideas about what should be done. Usually a consensus is reached, but occasionally it comes down to a majority vote. All members of the OG are equal in authority.

The 12 members of the OG are all married (some spouses are on the OG, some are not) and all have been a part of the Marriage Bed boards for several years. The political beliefs of the OG members vary, as do certain doctrinal beliefs, but all can say "amen" to the TMB Statement of Faith.

There are currently 4 active OG members, 4 semi-active members, and 3 non-active members. Occupations include white collar, blue collar, clerical collar, T-shirt, professor, and at home mom. Members range in age from 30 to over 50. Years married range from 10 to 25.

The OG is not a hand picked group of "yes men" - on more than one occasion the OG has pushed for something other than what the Byerlys would have done. (And they were right too - Paul.) The boards have been shaped by the OG, and this will continue to be true.

Some OG members have chosen to reveal their names, others have not. Those who have are:

Rev. Dale Kaufman (Dale)
(dr.mom)
(Ricky&Lucy)
(Mr. Rtk)
Lori Byerly (Lori B)
Paul Byerly (Paul B)

Anyone can PM the OG at "og". Suggestions and concerns about the boards are best sent to the OG, as this is the group that sets policy. Reports of problems or need for help are best dealt with by hitting the report post button on any post - this sends the issue to a larger group of people and results in a quicker response.

Updated 12/21/10

Paul B
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:19 pm

Back in November we added several folks to the Oversight Group (the OG). These additions have made a big difference to Lori and I, and to the boards as a whole. We have spread the moderation over more people, making it less of a burden. We also now have enough OG to make decisions in a reasonable amount of time.

Lori and I can not say enough about the folks of the OG, and what a help and blessing they are to us. The boards would probably not exist at all without them, and certainly would not be the fine community we all know and love without them. The TMB boards are very much influenced by the OG, and the results are superb. Please ask the Lord to bless our OG in every way (including, of course, great sex lives!).

Several of the OG members have decided to be "outed" and you will see the new OG avatar below their names on their posts. Other OG members remain anonymous, but are still active and important.

The post above has been updated with current information on the OG.

<>< Paul

Lori B
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 28th, 1985

Postby Lori B » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:59 pm

husbandofonewife wrote:Sooooo.....that would be a no?

Ok, I'll browse the 19,767 registered users to figure out which ones are "publicly" making themselves known.

BTW, what's the point of not being "publicly" known as an OG?

The OG members who wish to be known are Paul, myself, Alise, Dale and Dr. Mom. We give the OG and moderators the choice because realistically speaking you are treated differently when you are known. Being unknown can give you opportunities to minister that you might not otherwise have. The same can be said for being known. I figure it's a choice that is best left to that person as they seek God's direction for their personal ministry.

The OG and moderators routinely bless us here at TMB. They are committed to their own marriages and are growing spiritually (we don't ask for perfection, but we do need God focused people). They are good team players and have a heart to minister to others.

Lori <><

Dale

Re: The OG

Postby Dale » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 am

Titanium wrote:Seeing TMB has been running for quite a few years now & there has been a lot of movement/change/upheaval in that time; I'm just wondering if we could have an updated list as to who are moderators, if the OG is still functioning as they used to, what the leadership of TMB is like now.

Are there still mods/OG members who do not wish to be known as such? Or is it all in the open now?

I sent a PM to TMBAdmin this morning & then opened this thread to find a couple of years ago if you sent to Admin the OG wouldn't see it. How are things dealt with now?

I don't post that often anymore, mainly because of how changed everything seems to be & not being sure who is who in regards to authority/leadership/etc.

TMB is a very different species to what it was in 2005 (especially when it comes to who were the 'leadership team') & I would appreciate some updates as to what leadership is in place now.

Actually, the leadership has not changed all that much in the last couple of years. The OG is a little smaller right now because of a couple people moving on, and we function for right now as the only moderators. When the board system changed, there were some issues with the settings for moderation, and it became more difficult to have moderators separate from the OG. Paul is still working on that!

As far as OG members go, there are still a couple who prefer not to be openly known on the boards, but most of us are known. Besides myself, there is also dr. mom, Mr. Rkt, Ricky & Lucy (a married couple that both post from one account), and Paul and Lori, who are still the owners of the board.

Right now, again because of glitches in the new system, sending a PM to one of the OG members is the best way to get ahold of us. Another great feature is using the Report Post button to alert us of a problem on the boards. PMs sent to the Admin account are only seen by Paul, and he is often out of town with his day job and is unable to check it as frequently as he would like right now.

So there are some challenges right now, mostly with some limitations due to software issues, but it's being worked on!

Dale

Dale

Postby Dale » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 am

Titanium wrote:From what you've said, it appears they are just regular posters and so I will be sure to treat them as such. I was concerned that they may have been endorsed as mods/OG members & I had not realised it & therefore not responded with the respect that title deserves.

Thanks for clarifying... :)

The OG that are "out" are identified with the Oversight Group logo underneath their avatar. The couple of OG that are "underground" do appear as regular posters, but they are not given to causing any trouble on the boards! :lol: Most times, if a problem arises, they defer to an "outed" member to handle the problem publicly. We all communicate with each other regularly, and we all work together very well to keep this ministry functioning as smooth as possible.

I should also mention that TMB has a Board of Directors that oversees other aspects of the ministry as well, and acts as its legal representative.

Dale

Einstein

Postby Einstein » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:26 am

tmbadmin wrote:Anyone can PM the OG at "og".

Actually, that user does not seem to exist.

I have tried to PM tmbadmin on two different matters, but have gotten no response nor action. So how do you contact the OG nowadays...?

mamame

Postby mamame » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:02 am

You can pm if you want

Paul B
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

Postby Paul B » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 am

og is a group, not a user. When you are in your PM screen, there is a "Groups" section on the right. "og is the only option. Click on the og, then the "Add" button ot the left.
Einstein wrote:
tmbadmin wrote:Anyone can PM the OG at "og".

Actually, that user does not seem to exist.

I have tried to PM tmbadmin on two different matters, but have gotten no response nor action. So how do you contact the OG nowadays...?
Paul
Marriage and Sex Educator ~ My passion is better marriages and better married sex lives.

The Generous Husband
The XY Code - Attempting to explain men to women.
Follow me on Twitter @themarriagebed

Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:07 pm

You can also email to this address: og@themarriagebed.com

That goes directly to an admin email account that is regularly checked.

Dale

Return to “Rules, Guidelines, How To's and FAQ's”