OS during pregnancy

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
madcar16
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2006

OS during pregnancy

Postby madcar16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:30 pm

My midwives have always mentioned no OS during pregnancy.....does anybody know why this is? I can see if you were not in a monogamous relationship- which seems to be what most of the 'do's and dont's' of pregnancy stem from (dr's legally covering themselves)..... DH was just getting good at it AND our liberator wedge/ramp just came in the mail today (which I saved cc points for FOREVER). I just got a positive test yesterday and was a bit sad when I realized we can't do OS anymore. I'm too embarrassed to ask my midwife why exactly we need to refrain from doing that. :oops: Any advice?

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Re: OS during pregnancy

Postby InGodsGrace » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Blowing into the vagina can cause an embolus to form and can be deadly.

madcar16
Twin size

Postby madcar16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:05 pm

So if you avoid blowing it's ok?

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:11 pm

DH has never blown into my vagina during OS in all our 30-some years together. I don't see how there would be any chance of that happening, as OS is licking, not blowing. Pretty sure we went ahead with it when I was pregnant (it's been so long now I don't remember). The force with which air would have to be introduced into the vagina sufficient to cause an embolism would take quite an effort.

You shouldn't be embarrassed to ask your midwife though - who knows, there may be another reason I'm not familiar with. Better safe than sorry, right? I'm sure she's heard it all by now.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

girliegirl511
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 15th, 2013

Postby girliegirl511 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Always check with your midwives before trying anything! But my midwives gave us the "OK" for OS. I needed OS on those days when intercourse was too exhausting to think about. And just an FYI, it's a great thing post partum too!

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 pm

If you have normal anatomy, the possibility of an air emboli is incredibly remote. I'm not sure it's even ever been documented in anyone without one. In addition, I think all documented cases involved mechanical introduction of pressurized air.
It's been a couple of years since I looked it up though.
I would ask her what her reasoning is.
There should be nothing that embarrasses you to discuss with her. Think about what she chose as a profession - this is not going to phase her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:56 pm

InGodsGrace wrote:Blowing into the vagina can cause an embolus to form and can be deadly.

Isn't that true when not pregnant too?
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 pm

The only thing I can think of is perhaps her pH balance changing down there leaving her more prone to infection. Don't know if that is the case, just trying to come up with a possible reason. The mouth is the most germy part of your body.
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:27 am

C_Brown wrote:
InGodsGrace wrote:Blowing into the vagina can cause an embolus to form and can be deadly.

Isn't that true when not pregnant too?

Yes. That was the only thing I could think of though.

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Postby George B. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:12 am

sounds like it could be about the air embolus or perhaps concern about possible infection. OS in general is safe, even during pregnancy, as long as he avoids blowing into the vagina.
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 am

I've had three different midwives and a group of 4 OBs (four pregnancies total) and none of them have ever restricted os during pregnancy except for a short time when I was on pelvic rest for a low lying placenta. I'd definitely bring it up and clarify why exactly its off the table.
Last edited by tentsofpurple on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madcar16
Twin size

Postby madcar16 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks for the advice. I think it's interesting that others have not been limited n OS during pregnancy. I have had 5 different OBs or midwives and they've all told me not to do it. I will certainly clarify next time if I'm advised of that again. I haven't clarified yet because I was embarrassed to, we didn't used to do it so it wasn't an issue to abstain, and lastly my children are usually with me :shock: THAT would make for an interesting conversation!

Unfortunately I had a very early miscarriage so I won't be needing to worry about it for now. Thanks again for all the input.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 am

So sorry for your loss. ::bh
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

madcar16
Twin size

Postby madcar16 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Thank you. My other 3 miscarriages were heart breaking. This may sound odd/cruel but I wasn't attached to this one. I can't quite explain it, but I only knew for a week and I didn't "feel" like it was...... going to 'stick'....... for lack of a better word. I fully believe life starts at conception. And I know I sound crazy. I think it was just God's grace in keeping me from more heartbreak? I don't know. I just feel like I started a normal period though.

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”