Kickstart Labor? (She's here!!!!!!!)

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
girliegirl511
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 15th, 2013

Kickstart Labor? (She's here!!!!!!!)

Postby girliegirl511 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Has anyone had sex intentionally to kickstart labor? And did it actually work??!

I love being pregnant, but I live in the south, it's hot and I'm a week over due by my doctors calendar, and 11 days by mine. Caster oil did nothing, tried a a pepper this weekend and only ended up with heartburn. :(

Baby is healthy or I wouldn't ask, Dr estimates a 8 1/2 lb baby! :shock:

I'll take any suggestions at this point!
Last edited by girliegirl511 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Re: Kickstart Labor?

Postby HisLadybug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm so sorry, that sounds miserable.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant myself in CA, it's no picnic.

Semen can help ripen the cervix, but my understanding is that your body has to be ready to go into labor anyway.

With my last pregnancy the midwife suggested an orgasm. It releases oxytocin and can help jump-start things. The day before my labor started I gave myself an orgasm, like I put everything into it. My water broke that night. Maybe a coincidence but I might have helped push myself over the edge.

Nipple stimulation is also supposed to help. You can use a breast pump or get your hubby involved. :D

Good luck! 11 days overdue is no fun....
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Oh, if you see a chiropractor on any regular basis, go in for an adjustment today! Getting everything aligned can help with labor....and massage therapy with pressure on the right pressure points can help too. So I've heard. I plan to see my chiro several times a week starting around week 37 myself. I also know at least 1 person who used massage therapy/reflexology to help start their labor. At 11 days past due it's worth a try!! I at least would try it to avoid induction!
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:18 pm

My OB suggests it and its fun trying.

sexwithinmarriage
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 19th, 2001

Postby sexwithinmarriage » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Sex, nipple stimulation, climbing stairs (though that's better for progressing labor once it's started), or there's always having your water broken on purpose. That usually speeds things along pretty well, but it also causes a harder labor.

Break your water, then go climb the stairs a dozen or two dozen times...it comes pretty quick.
My little blog on marriage, intimacy and sexuality, from a Christian perspective: https://UncoveringIntimacy.com

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:18 pm

The problem with breaking the water on purpose is that if it doesn't start labor, the baby has to come out anyway, and that can make a C-section whether you want one or not. Castor oil can also have side effects that can be dangerous for the baby (loosening his bowels, which can result in fecal matter being drawn into the lungs and a potentially serious issue). I did some research on this a few years ago when a friend was considering it, and I ended up telling her no, bad idea. In general, though, unnecessary inductions are a bad idea, and doing any sort of natural encouragement is better.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby beautyfromashes » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 pm

When I asked my OB about ways to bring on labor, he would always say "The best way to get 'em out is the same way you got 'em in there." I can't guarantee if sex works, but it always brought on lots of contractions.

I also had my membranes stripped with my youngest when he was 8 days late. It was unpleasant, but it did put me into labor.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

BHF
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 22nd, 2011

Postby BHF » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Was nearly 42 weeks when I gave birth nearly 7 weeks ago. By the way, with both of my kids the u/s were wrong about weight. They estimated my youngest at under 6.5lbs and she was 8.2lbs which was huge for my under 5ft frame, whilst my eldest was supposed to have been big and was 6.3lbs.

Sex and the Miles Circuit. The Miles circuit will help align the baby at the very least.
"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy ...And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight" Phil 1:3,4,9

Mrs Weller
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 13th, 2006

Postby Mrs Weller » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:21 am

I worked with my first. DH and I were ML and I O and the O didn't stop9 hour's later I had DD#1. I was 36 and 3 day pregnant when that happened so technically she was prem but no worse off for it.
------
MrsWeller

I am dyslexic and writing scares me.

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks ladies!! DH decided to stay home today not only to spend some quality time together :wink: but I had a breakdown last night. I went outside last night for just a few minutes and my legs got covered in mosquito bites...needless to say I can't reach my legs!! DH applied cortisone cream but just the little things you take for granted you can't do 11 days over due.

I do have a pump, so going to try that was well. If nothing is a success today, baby will just hang out till she's ready.

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:48 pm

The baby will come he/she is ready. And in God's timing, you can't rush it.

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Baby will come when she's ready, but now 12 days past due natural inducement can't hurt. Especially with my doctors clearance. Because of back surgery 5 years ago, researching that pitocin can make labor much harder, I decided to not medically induce. I have a great Dr and midwife team! Dr has agreed to wait another 6-7 days before trying differnt inducement options, other than pitocin.

At least if we don't get a baby today/tonight, DH and I have had the greatest "last hurrah"!!!! I think I've worn him out! He's been asleep for a couple of hours :D

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Who cares if it kickstarts labor or not? Go for it! :)
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

John143
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 2003

Postby John143 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 pm

My wife went into labor for our first child a few hours after having sex. It wasn't intentional. We used the missionary position with her legs in the air that time. Maybe the deep penetration helped move things along.
---
Make the best love you can make!
www.MarriedDance.com: Christian-friendly sex toy store
www.CFSPs.co: Christian-friendly illustrated sex positions
www.MarriageBed.tips: Christian-friendly sex tips and techniques

dc9
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 21st, 2001

Kickstart Labor?

Postby dc9 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:53 pm

We had sex in the missionary position with DW's legs in the air and deep penetration and it brought on the labor in two of our three pregnancies. =)

I don't know if it was the deep penetration, the semen or DW's orgasms that started it, but it was very fun, nice and exciting to try to get things going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:12 pm

A week and a day has gone by since the original post. And no baby :( 18 days over due!!! But unless my health or baby's health declined rapidly, I refuse to be induced. Thanks for all the advice! DH and I had fun trying...will keep trying :D

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Oh my gosh! I was hoping you hadn't replied because you had given birth!!!
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Nope still here:/ i had a few contractions on Friday, 2 within 4 hours but nothing ever came. Still doing a lot of walking, nipple stimulation with and without hubby. I talks to my midwife tonight and she suggested Prepidil which is a cervix ripening gel, and some herbal tea to drink. We had a conference call with DH who had to go about 2 hours out of town for work today. If nothing starts by Friday she'll break my water to see if that helps. But because my hips are larger she's not too worried about a big baby, which is still measuring about the same. Little girl just wants to keep her brothers waiting :D

neilethere
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 18th, 2000
Location: The land down under ...... where women glow and men ppplllllunder

Postby neilethere » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:37 pm

Woah, 18 days!! I was hoping you were giving us good news. The town we used to live in had a lot of dirt roads with a lot of bumps, one of which sort of worked into a circuit around town, very popular trip when you had had enough of a pregnancy and just wanted that baby out. Another local method (believe it or not) was to mow the lawn.

Our last one arrived at 32 weeks, I would have gladly swapped for 18 days over.

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Well DH made an executive decision and said we needed to get labor started. Late last night I was so uncomfortable I was in tears. We went to Drs office and got the Prepidil around 9am today. Labor STARTED around 2pm, PRAISE THE LORD!!!!! There was a lot of DH using his hands in between, so Prepidil and orgasms could've worked together :) Right now contractions are about 10 min apart and I'm around 4cm. If water doesn't break by 6am, CNM will break it to speed things up.

Her big brothers and Dad are sleeping. I made them all go lay down because DH looked like he was exhausted and I need him later. And step sons were hovering...sweet but too close.

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”