How did you meet and fall in love?

Tell us a bit about who you are. Threads and polls on age, religious background and more.
Forum rules
This section is to introduce yourself to our community and for others to welcome you. Please do not solicit advice here, rather, begin a thread in the appropriate section.

Postby ragwing » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:59 pm

My DW and I met in confirmation class. Her family had just moved to our town a short time before. I guess we hit it off, as we were each others first dates. We dated for 7 years and got married during spring break of our junior year of college. That was fourty years ago.

Bill Ding

Postby Bill Ding » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:35 pm

DW and I met in grade school at a Church function. She being a Sunday School teacher and me just being a kid who liked to be around church sponsored meetings etc.

We of course noticed each other and we dated all through grade and high school and after working for a while we decided that we wanted to marry and live the rest of our lives together.

Glad we did.

Tenore Grande

high school

Postby Tenore Grande » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:06 am

My FW and I met in 10th grade. (We were 15-16) She sat in front of me in Biology class. We never talked much, but I remember the first day I ever saw her, I was blown away. I thought to myself, "Wow! She's amazing! She's way out of my league though." And she was. Anyway, she has always been really quiet and smart. My school used to do an incentive program for students that a teacher could elect one person from each class to get the incentive. (trip to the movies, free pizza, etc.) Anyhow, my biology teacher believed that the person with the highest grade in the class always got the incentive. 3 out of 4 quarters she beat me by 1% or so. We were always competing for the top spot and she would just edge me out. The one time I did get it... they cancelled the incentive because of weather or something. Anyway, we didn't see each other in 11th grade, and ended up dating in 12th grade. October 6th, 2004. We dated all through college and on May 17th, WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!!!!! hallelujah!

Queen bed

Postby SmallTownClown » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Wife and I met back in the late 70's. I was an undergrad and she was a first year grad student - we're the same age, I had taken a year off to work and screw my head on straight (I'm still working on that latter issue). Anyway, Wife-to-be was one of the TA's for the class I was taking. While not love at first sight, she was enough to get my attention and when she was no longer my TA, at the end of the year, we had our first date: A tennis match. Loser (that would be me - wife is a tennis nut) treated for dinner: I think it was Pizza Hut. I believe we also went out to a movie - Star Wars Episode V: The empire Strikes Back. Although, the movie may have been a later date.

And here we are, 22 years of marriage this year. Where does the time go?

Postby soontobemrs2008 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:57 am

My DH and I met 2 years ago (we've been married for nearly one of those years :D). He started talking to one of my friends on Myspace, who told him that she had a friend she could set him up with. She asked him where he lived, turns out we lived only a couple of miles apart. So she called me and said that he'd like to have my phone number so he could get to know me. I was very hesitant at first, I had just come out of a rough relationship and wasn't really thinking about meeting anyone new just yet. I had been praying to God that I wouldn't fall in love with anyone unless it was the man he wanted me to marry. I figured this phone call would just be a new I got to talking to him, we talked for probably 2 or 3 hours. He was so interesting.

After about a week of talking on the phone, we decided to set up a first date. Originally, we had planned to go out on Wednesday, but I had a doctor's appointment and had to reschedule, so we moved it to Friday. On our first date, we went out to dinner, browsed around in Wal-Mart, went for ice cream, and watched a movie. At the end of the date, he gave me a kiss and asked me if he could see me again. I remember feeling so amazing that night...there was just something so magical and different about it. I just felt waves of happiness crashing over me. Of course I remember trying to keep myself from getting too excited, since it was too soon to know how things would play out.

From there, we dated for probably about a month, and he met my parents and I met his family too. The day after he met my parents, we took a trip to the mall together, and went out to dinner. As we were getting ready to drive home, he looked over at me, and said "I don't know if you're ready for me to tell you this or not, but I really think I love you". I had been thinking the exact same thing, but I had waited for him to say it first :D

About mid-October, we started talking about getting more serious, considering the possibility of a future together. I spoke privately with my mother about it, and she thought it was a good thing. She really liked him a lot, and thought that we both seemed ready for it. Now, for my mother, that was a surprising thing to hear...she'd never liked anyone i'd dated up until that point.

October 17, 2007 is a day I'll never forget. We made a date to go out to a local steakhouse, and go to the movies. When we got to the restaurant, he couldn't eat. In fact, he couldn't sit still. He said he thought he might have accidentally left his car unlocked, and excused himself to go check. Then he came back, and all the waiters got in a corner of the dining room. Before I knew what was happening, he was on one knee, and had a ring in his hand ::luv. I remember that a love song was playing over the speakers called All My Life by Kci and Jojo. It was the most beautiful moment. All I could see was him, the rest of the surroundings were a blur. I remember he had a tear in his eye. It was so romantic, just how i'd always hoped it would be. Writing it out on this post doesn't do it justice to describe it to you.

DH and I were officially married on August 2, 2008, by my uncle who is a pastor. It was a bright, beautiful summer day, without a cloud in the sky. It seemed like the Lord was smiling on that day. It was one of the happiest days of my entire life. I felt like I was on top of the world.

We are now going on our one year wedding anniversary ::luv2

Date of your marriage (past or future): July 31st, 2009

Postby hotdoginabun » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 am

So, I've been wandering around for a most do before they actually start posting! But I had to join on this's totally appropriate for an introduction! I'm getting married in 32 days :)

FH and I met one of the few days I was home summer '07, one Sunday at church. I wasn't home much at all that summer, I saw him the one time I was at my home church. My friend's boyfriend had been best friends with him for a long time. (I always thought I wouldn't find my husband through a friend...hah!)

Anyway, I liked him immediately, but he was dating someone else at the time. I wondered why he was dating her, but let it go. I definitely wanted to see him more. I saw him two other times that year during vacations from my senior year of college. Both were group gatherings, and each time I couldn't get enough of him (he wasn't dating that girl any longer.).

Fast forward a year later (May 08) when I graduated. I came home, and really enjoyed being around him. Like, I wanted to be around him ALL the time, ALL the time. But it wasn't like a ...puppy love. I was literally drawn to him. I can't really explain that, but it was true for him too. We didn't FEEL romantic, but we wanted to be together. I had a few telling dreams (that I didn't want to believe because I was afraid they weren't true.)

So...a few months of friendship and silliness later, he told me and some friends that he told his ex-girlfriend we were engaged! Just a joke, but ironic none-the-less. Two days later we decided to go on a picnic together and then watch an outdoor play. During the day, I got really nervous that I had overstepped some bounds somehow. So I asked the Lord "Should I e excited?" And He actually answered: "YES YES YES YES YES!" At that, I knew something was up :D

We had an awesome time. At the end of the evening, it somehow came up that I thought another one of my friends might think I like him. FH said, "You know, I can understand why he would feel that way, because I feel that way sometimes." He continued with a bunch of thoughts, like he had been asking God if we're supposed to be together, etc. I asked him "what does He say?" (smiling HUGELY inside) and he said he didn't know. He said he didn't want to date at that moment, and I said "well, there's this thing called 'courting'.." And I explained it. He said, (and I really do quote) "That's what I feel like we're doing".

A week earlier, I had said the same thing to one of my friends! Anyway, I was so nervous and my heart was pounding out of my chest because I was so happy and wanted to make sure that he meant what he said, because it was a dream come true, literally! The months prior, I had noticed all of his wonderful characters, drawing me more toward him, but again, without romance! This was the first time that romance came later! Anyway, that was August 12, last year, and on October 29- 2 and a half months later, he proposed to me on my kitchen floor!

Nine months we are preparing to be married in a mere 32 days!

Re: How did you meet and fall in love?

Postby RNS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Ok, I just love telling our story and am happy there's a place here to do so!! :D

It was Dec. 26, 2007 and I was at my parents house for the holidays. Even though I only lived an hour from them, I stayed as many days as possible. Dec. 26 also happened to be my 23rd birthday. Even though I was home with family, I was pretty bored that day. I had given various dating websites a try several times in the past, even talking to a guy for about 3 months. I had emailed or "smiled" at a few guys, but never got a response. I spent some time on a free dating website that I'd been on for a short time. My search/mating perameters were set pretty strictly and close to home on this particular site. Because I was bored, I thought I would try their "quickmatch" thing where you click on a button and it gives you random people. I browsed for a little while and looked at some profiles, being very disappointed with the quality of men that I was seeing out there. I would browse, then go do something else, browse some more, etc. I remember when my DH's picture came up. My first thought was "wow, he's really cute. Bet he'll be the opposite of what I'm looking for!". I clicked on his profile and by the time I had finished reading the first sentence I had goosebumps that only got stronger the more I read. If I could have written the ideal profile of what I was looking for, this was it. The only "issue" was distance...he was in Virginia, and I was in Texas. I started to send a message but doubted whether or not I should. I remember holding my cursor over the red 'x' at the top of the window and preparing to just exit out of the window. Something stopped me and said "send a message". So I did - don't even remember what I said, but I got a reply a few days later. We talked on IM for about 2 weeks - long long conversations, before finally talking on the phone. I will never forget hearing his voice for the first time. We talked for over 4 hours that night, and talked on the phone every day. About two weeks later, I caught him almost slip and tell me he loved me. I already knew then that I loved him. A few days later he said "I have something I need to tell you. I think I love you." *sigh*. A few days later we started making plans for him to fly out to see me (being the gentleman that he is he insisted he be the one to travel). So he bought his tickets for about 2 months later to conincide with a NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway that was only about 5-10 miles from where I lived. We both are HUGE NASCAR fans so this was perfect. We had been praying constantly ever since the beginning asking God to guide us. About this time I finally told my parents about him (wasn't sure they'd be real crazy about me "Seeing" someone online). At first they were hesitant, but soon started asking me about him. They started praying abouthim too, and were actually felt God telling them BEFORE they even met him that he was going to become a permanent fixture. Those two months went by SO slow and we used SO many cell phone minutes. We finally met face-to-face on April 3, 2008 and again, will never forget seeing him in person, hearing his voice in person, and finally being in his arms. He was taller than I had realized and boy, he was CUTE...his pics didn't do him justice!! We went to dinner that night and that night I had my very first kiss....EVER! I was horribly bad, but knew he really loved me in spite of it! We spent some time with my family and they loved him immediately!! He was scheduled to stay 6 days, but his return flight was scheduled for the day that American Airlines grounded almost every one of their flights across the US. He was able to stay 4 more days!! We spent more time with my family, talked about the future, and even went looking at engagment rings. Saying good-bye was the hardest thing either of us had to do. I was devastated at him leaving and so was he. I flew out to the east coast about a month later and met his family. We had a great weekend and I was happy they approved of me. The next month, June ,we didn't anticipate getting to see each other, but he got sent to Mississippi for business, and I had Fridays off and could easily take a Monday off, I drove out to see him. On July 4, I flew back out to the east coast to spend my 10 day vacation with him. That night we were sitting in a park watching the fireworks and talking about when we were going to get married, etc. He had been telling me that he couldn't find the engagment ring that I had fallen in love back in April. He had maintained this story for quite sometime and boy, that night he really had me going. The next day we drove up to the Pocono Mountains to visit his granny. We got up the morning after that at 4:30 to go watch the sunrise over a lake that he'd gone to as a child with his now-deceased grandfather. We walked around the lake for a bit and finally came back to this old bridge overlooking the lake. I standing against the railing with my back against his chest. We talked of various things and about how we hoped to someday bring our children there. I felt him pull away from me and take a couple of steps back but didn't think a thing about it. I remember hearing him say "Well, while we're here..." and as I turned around there he was down on one knee holding a ring box with the very ring I'd fallen in love with and he said "Babe, will you marry me?". I was so choked up I could hardly speak but I think I did eventually manage an actual "yes"! We got married 4 1/2 months later in my parents church where my dad is a pastor. My dad walked me down the aisle and also performed the ceremony. So that's our story!! ::luv ::luv2

Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 1998

Postby thisbejoe7 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Wow, reading all these great stories is so nice they all sound so awesome and romantic! Unfortunately I have no super romantic tale to tell. I proposed to my DW when I was 18, Romance was not a language I spoke fluently, and I stunk. I was young, thought I knew everything, and really butchered my proposal. Thank God my DW still said yes regardless of my shortcomings...although she did ask me if I wanted the ring back when I expressed my disappointment at how things went with the proposal. We've been married almost 11 years now, time sure goes by fast. One thing I am seriously thinking about is one of those ceremonies to renew our vows and do it up really nice and fancy so that I can give my dear sweet wife the whole experience of getting engaged and getting married all over again and this it right! Maybe for our 15th anniversary would be a good time for that.

Postby RNS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

thisbejoe7 wrote:Wow, reading all these great stories is so nice they all sound so awesome and romantic! Unfortunately I have no super romantic tale to tell. I proposed to my DW when I was 18, Romance was not a language I spoke fluently, and I stunk. I was young, thought I knew everything, and really butchered my proposal. Thank God my DW still said yes regardless of my shortcomings...although she did ask me if I wanted the ring back when I expressed my disappointment at how things went with the proposal. We've been married almost 11 years now, time sure goes by fast. One thing I am seriously thinking about is one of those ceremonies to renew our vows and do it up really nice and fancy so that I can give my dear sweet wife the whole experience of getting engaged and getting married all over again and this it right! Maybe for our 15th anniversary would be a good time for that.

Don't be so hard on yourself!! Aww, you should totally do that!! I bet it would knock her socks off to know you want that for her!! :D

Postby grapadura » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:43 am

Wow such long stories :D

Well we met over a christian onlinecommunity and at the beginning didnt have in mind of getting together.
After weeks of telephoning i drove to her, we met, fell in love and voila next week we are going to get married ::al

Postby Robswife » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:45 pm

I love how we got together, because it was such a GOD THING!

Back in the days of xanga I had a blog, and my DH had a blog. I joined a blogring for MK's (I am not an mk, I just wanted to meet other mks because I am interested in missions). Haha! Anyways, he saw that I was going to be a freshman at the same university that he was a junior at--so he sent me a welcoming email. He was studying abroad in Ireland for the summer and we got to know each other through multiple daily emails...

fast forward to that fall...we were in school together and hung out and became really close friends......

fast forward 2.5 years later....after being SUCH good friends for so long...he asked me out! work 1.5 years....we got married!

I thank God for the blessing of my DH. We are so much alike, and it was such a "chance" (GOD!) thing that we met. :)

California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 17th, 1986

Postby Highlander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:49 am

Back, oh, 24 years ago my brother was going to seminary. His neighbours were from Canada, and the wife in that couple had such beautiful eyes that I told my SIL, "If you can find me a girl with eyes that beautiful, I'll marry her". She relayed that message to the Canadian woman, who responded, "Well, I do have one sister who hasn't married yet!" She passed on two photos which blew me away - my future DW in a little white tennis outfit in one and sitting at the piano with her sister in the other, big smiles on their faces...and my future DW wearing only a big, ovesized sweater. Nice legs!! So I helped them move back north after they graduated (a matter of weeks after that initial conversation) and met the sister. As we neared the "meeting place", I got a call for an interview back in my hometown and had to do some quick work to meet future DW. We stayed up til 3 or 4 in the morning that first night we met, talking. About what? Can't remember. I flew back home the next morning. The next month I flew back up for DW's other sister's wedding, and knew that we'd marry. I returned home and wrote (and she back) every day for the next 3 months while I earned money to buy an engagement ring (drove a combine and worked in corn research - fun work!) and a ticket to get back to her. That Christmas I spent up at her sisters place, and asked DW to marry me. Two months later we married (for immigration purposes) and then had the church wedding 6 months after that we were married again in a church ceremony...23 years ago next Sunday!. We then relocated back up to Canada, and have been here ever since.

What are we doing next Sunday? Well, entertaining the kids (our in-law's DD will be visiting) and taking our other DD to a birthday party...If only we could farm the kids out for a night and get away by ourselves. Unfortunately we have NO family here...

(edited to add a couple things I couldn't before as my 5 year old was in need of attention)

Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 2004

Postby moebiusone » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:26 am

It was October of '88. I was in 4th grade. My parents had just moved me to a new school because they feared me 'losing' my french language in a totally english environment. Shy as I am and having a hard time making friends I noticed a shy little blonde girl in pigtails across the classroom. Though I didn't know why, my heart skipped a beat. Every time I glanced in her direction she'd be shyly glancing at me and we'd both quickly turn away, hoping the other didn't notice. We were both so shy that it took her best friend telling me she liked me to get me to talk to her. We became fast friends. We played, we talked, we cried, we walked, had sleepovers, birthday parties and ski trips. That all came to an end after grade 6, when both our fathers were transfered out of town, her a few hours away, me across the country, back to the motherland of Quebec.

I had her address, and tried to stay in touch. Sent her letters and postcards. One time I even found a ring on the ground, taped it to a letter and 'proposed'. Her replies stopped coming. And I never heard from her again. I was in a bad part of the province, known for it's sépératiste politics and was ostracized for merely having the ability to speak english. My mother had a mental breakdown. Both my brothers were diagnosed with learning disabilities and mental disorders. After years of dad sailing the world while I asserted myself as the "alpha-male" in the home, I couldn't handle his return and was constantly fighting with him. Day-to-day life became a hell of bullying, beatings, heckling and verbal abuse. After my Confirmation, I lost my faith. Life was horrible, and the things the Church was telling me didn't make sense. The God I wanted and needed wasn't there for me, so I stopped looking to Him for help and guidance. We moved again, to another town closer to Montreal. The multi-ethnic culture there was more accepting of my gift and allowed me to relax and grow again. Still too shy to actually ask a girl out, I kept looking for one that reminded me of that little girl in pigtails from so long ago. Never could find her.

Then I started college. Being in the 'manly' field of the aviation industry, female courtships were near impossible. However, I discovered this crazy new thing called the internet. My father signed out a computer from work for us to work on, and got us internet access. My friends were using a program called ICQ to stay in touch without having to disconnect the internet to use the phone. I installed it, and started looking up my friends. On a whim, I looked up the name of the little girl in pigtails. And it was there!

I sent her a message, and happened to use a nickname for her that no one else did. We started talking, a lot. I eventually quit college and found a dead-end minimum wage job. After many invitations she agreed to come visit me in Montreal. Unfortunately, the trucker who was supposed to drive her there took off without her. So at the last minute, I packed up my ski gear, and bought a bus ticket to her town for a weekend ski-trip. Just like old times!

Though not quite. I found truth that weekend. The hell she went through, dragged around by her mother's whims from one hell to the next. Beatings, rapes, abusive boyfriends and the scars to prove it. I promised I'd protect her. I promised I wouldn't let her get hurt again. We ML'd together for the first time (my first, but not hers). When the weekend was over, I gave her one last passionate kiss before hopping on the bus. As I was driven off, I cried. My heart ached so much and I didn't know why. We were 19 at the time.

A few months later, after trying to get her to move out and live with me and live the wonderful life I had planned, she sent me the dreaded e-mail. She didn't want me anymore. I was fired from my job. I enlisted. Eventually I moved to the west coast and started sailing. There were dates, and relationships. Some serious, some confusing and some fleeting. Then came 9/11 and I went out and fought the good fight, MP5 in hand and Sig Sauer on my hip. After many boardings and some hand-to-hand combat, I came home safe and sound, and without having bloodied my hands (though the smugglers we captured were usually executed by the authorities we delivered them to). The woman I had an on-and-off relationship with at the time had been raped while I was away. She had become pregnant and tried to commit suicide, failing to kill herself but killing the baby. I swear almost every important woman in my life has been abused in one way or another. She stopped talking to me after this, and I gave up. I made a habit of telling friends that I'd never get married, kids were out of the question. I couldn't protect the women I love, and they got hurt and discarded me. I preferred a life of celibacy. I used video games and pornography to fill the void.

One night, about 2 years later, I had a dream. I was a child again, and the little girl in pigtails was crying, holding a stuffed cat. I asked her why she was crying. She said she was lonely and afraid. I awoke startled. That day, I reinstalled ICQ on my PC and looked up her name. It took hours to muster up the courage. I was completely willing to jump into a firefight, armed to the teeth, and die for Queen and Country, yet I was afraid to type a line of text for this girl. So finally I typed out "Hi" and hit enter. Her mom initially answered and shocked me with news that she was now a single mother. I found out that the night before, her cat, the only companion she'd had through all her hardships, had passed away. The dream had been a sign. We both poured our hearts out, and discovered and forgave our pasts. After a few months of online courtship, I decided to make the trip down to spend a weekend with them during my summer leave. I fell in love again, but with both mother and daughter. Again I promised, I would protect them, and make sure they would never be hurt again. This time I had the means to do it. I flew both of them out to live with me that fall. After a rough few weeks of adjustment, I found out my request for remuster to a much more technical and better paying trade was approved, though it meant moving to Ontario for 2 years. That night, I proposed with the engagement ring that had been sitting in my pocket for 2 weeks, waiting for me to muster the courage. She said yes. That night I found God again, and saw his plans. As hard as our lives had been, we were meant to be together, and He made sure we both lived the experiences we needed to live so we could commit ourselves to each other. That was 5 years ago. After 21 years, I still love my little blonde girl in pigtails.

Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 2004

Postby littledinobug » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:06 am

even though I'm not blonde anymore >.> or have hair long enough for pigtails.

*sniffles and glomphugs her DH*
SAHM to two kids and wife to This guy here

Postby sweetangel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Now that is romantic LD and Moe you were destined. That is so sweet.

King bed

Postby SOS » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:06 pm

that was a profoundly beautiful post---glad you're here, thanks for sharing---

I think you two have something very very special---

King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 16th, 2005

Postby Sarah1 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Oh my, ldb and moe, I'm so very touched by that story. Thanks so much for sharing.

Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:29 pm

That was just awesome. You're little pigtail girl has grown into a rather amazing woman. You should be proud.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Wow littledinobug and moe!
That was such a beautifu story!

(where is the happy tear smiley when you need it? )

Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 14th, 2002

Postby fulfilled » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 am

She was a waitress at a bar I visited out of town

Return to “Introduce Yourself To Us!”