Documentaries, TV, Movies with good marriage examples

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Documentaries, TV, Movies with good marriage examples

Postby Job29Man » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 am

What documentaries, TV series, Movies, etc are you watching that show good models for marriage?

We haven't owned a television for decades, but we do watch some Netflix movies and rent some Redbox DVDs.

I really like "man surviving in the Wild," Nature type shows. So lately I've been watching a Netflix series called "Life Below Zero," a National Geographic real-life documentary series on Alaskan Bush dwelling people and families. As far as I can tell none of the families are believers, but I've really appreciated seeing the way that some of the husbands and wives interact.

In the wilderness, without life-saving services nearby, and with LOTS of work, work, work to do just to survive the marriages tend to be VERY different than down here in the lower 48 States. The spouses truly depend upon each other for survival. There is an unapologetic division of labor in most cases, based on sex. There tends to be "man's work" and "woman's work" but also there is a lot of cross-training and the idea that each spouse will do whatever is required to survive. So the women learn how to trap and hunt, and the men learn how to cook and sew.

But the main thing I see is that they tend to truly depend on each other, I mean really, REALLY need each other. And they tend to really, REALLY value and appreciate each other's contributions and roles.

The Alaska bush couples live together almost 24/7. They don't go away to work long days in town and then return home at night. So they sometimes get short tempered and snap a bit at each other. But they learn that that can't be a constant condition. They need to get along and work things out. They both need to give 100% to the marriage, and to compromise and appreciate each other, or they'll go crazy, or die.

So far my favorite married couple on the show is Erik & Martha Mae Salitan. They are young, probably late 20s, and now they have 2 children, although I'm still in the episodes where they are childless newlyweds.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

MayDayGirl
Hammock

Re: Documentaries, TV, Movies with good marriage examples

Postby MayDayGirl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:52 am

I like Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper and Bristol and Aubrey Marunde from Flip or Flop Las Vegas. Both couples run successful businesses with their partners, besides the TV shows (though the Gaines are leaving their show in its prime to concentrate more on their family and marriage).

I like that neither couples appear to be likely matches (Chip reminds me of a class clown, while Joanna is straight A student material). However, both couples seem to really love working together. Best of all, they respect each others' ideas and business acumen, even when they don't always initially agree. It's nice to see real couples who are playful with each other, instead of putting each other down, like on many 'comedy' sitcoms.

Illusive
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 26th, 1989

Postby Illusive » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Documentary on Netflix "Steal a Pencil for Me".

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Illusive wrote:Documentary on Netflix "Steal a Pencil for Me".

Explain please.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Illusive
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 26th, 1989

Postby Illusive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Okay...not sure how to explain this documentary. Can't condone how the marriage started out, but the story in how they survived the holocaust and did have a wonderful marriage after the ordeal is quite touching. It is just a recommendation if you have time to watch.

facetoface
California King

Postby facetoface » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 pm

So my curiosity was peaked by To Steal a Pencil. I found a fascinating article/interview about this movie.
https://www.documentary.org/content/love-time-horror-steal-pencil-me-tells-tale-survival

My father in law grew up in Holland he he spent several years during the war in hiding and so was separated from his parents for long periods of time during the war. I will definitely be showing this article to my husband.

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Interesting link from face to face. But . . . the article simply glosses over the man being married to one woman, with whom he entered a concentration camp ("unhappy marriage") and he writes love letters to another woman, whom of course he ends up marrying. What happened to his wife? Had she ended up dead and so he then wooed the other woman, or did he ignore his wife for a "new love"?
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:22 am

....... rabbit trail ..........

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 am

Well, any "romance" I might feel in the thought of a man writing love letters on tiny scraps of paper to the woman who will become his wife is completely evaporated by the horror that his wife is in that concentration camp, too, left without so much as smuggled love notes from her husband, because he's sending them to someone else. That's almost as bad as "He murdered his first wife because the church wouldn't grant him a divorce, but he was kind to his second wife."
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

neilethere
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 18th, 2000
Location: The land down under ...... where women glow and men ppplllllunder

Postby neilethere » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Off the rabbit trail and on with the show .........

Movies ....... I caught a bit of 'The Family Man' with Nicholas Cage and Tea Leone this morning while fluffing around before work. I love 'parallel universe' movies anyway and the parallel family life Cage parachutes into is a remarkably good depiction of a real but loving family life I think.

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:18 am

neilethere wrote:Off the rabbit trail and on with the show .........
Thank you for that Neil!

neilethere wrote:... I love 'parallel universe' movies anyway and the parallel family life Cage parachutes into is a remarkably good depiction of a real but loving family life I think.
I'll check it out Neil. I too really enjoy parallel universe movies. I also like movies like "Click," and "50 First Dates" and "Groundhog's Day" where the protagonist gets into an altered sense of time or repetition, very philosophical, existential. Honestly I think Groundhog's Day is one of the best philosophical movies. These movies don't specifically show good marriages, but they do make me think about not wasting time in my marriage and making every day count.

TV shows with good marriages -- The Cosby Show, The Waltons, of course Ozzie and Harriet.

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am

Along the lines of what JobMan offered, all of which were good movies and I enjoyed, I will add one I just watched again recently, "The Big Year". It was one of a couple of movies that really pushed me over the edge and get off the road for business. And watching it again made me realize I did make the right choice (sometimes I wonder especially in the bed room). I had my wife watch it with me. She did not understand it, similar to her not understanding "50 First Dates" or "Groundhogs Day" the first time or two she watched it. I have not even shown her "Click". Another one that was of similar vane to "The Familyman" but not 100% related to the basic topic was "Sliding Door". Again all of these movies I have to watch on my own so I can explain the plot and what is going on for my wife which ruins the exerience of whatching a movie for the first time and discussing it with my wife afterwards.

How many people are like me and have to pre watch a movie so that you can explain it to your spouse and can really enjoy the filmography, the dialogue, the storyline, all befor you have pause and explain?

The Twit

Postby The Twit » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

Another movie I watched but I knwo my wife would disapprove of was "Hope Springs". This was discussed on this board. My wife would complain about the talk about sex. "Why would they ruin a good movie with all of the sex talk. That was her complaint of another good one showing a bad and good marriage relationships - "Julie & Julia". When I traveled and was finished with the paper work and had gone out for dinner I would unwind with a movie. Also flying in the air for 12-16 hours allowed a person to watch a few movies.

neilethere
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 18th, 2000
Location: The land down under ...... where women glow and men ppplllllunder

Postby neilethere » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:56 pm

I forgot about 'Julie and Julia'. Great movie with a great marriage relationship.

Elevation
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 5th, 2002

Postby Elevation » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm

A pleasantly surprising movie about strong marriage is the movie Pixar's "Up"...What a wonderful surprise that was...

SLS
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 28th, 2014

Postby SLS » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:06 am

Elevation wrote:A pleasantly surprising movie about strong marriage is the movie Pixar's "Up"

Indeed. The first 15 minutes of that film display a better picture of love, romance, and loyalty than a thousand romance novels or rom-coms. Make sure to have the tissues ready. My wife and I were bawling after the first 15 minutes were over.

Speaking of Pixar movies the "Incredibles" also does a great job of portraying marriage.

The Twit

Postby The Twit » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am

I never really put it all together But "Up" and "The Incredibles" were two great cartoon movies designed for the family that did teach us good lessons on marriage. "Incredibles" does show us marriage that does go through a rough patch only to have the couple come back together stronger and with the kids respecting their parents. So it does show a good marriage example and a decent family example. Now what will they do with "Incredibles 2"?

Recently a good one my wife and I watched, at least the first season was a good example of marriage, "Victoria" on Amazon Prime originally from England. Along with that was "Poldark" where we see several good and bad marriages. We can learn from bad marriage examples. As I have learned, there are two way to learn, from others or through experience. It is easier and less expensive to learn from others.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

The Twit wrote:Recently a good one my wife and I watched, at least the first season was a good example of marriage, "Victoria" on Amazon Prime originally from England.

I really liked this one too. It was interesting to see how their relationship matured and how both Victoria and her husband learned what their roles were. From the little bit of research and reading I did Victoria and Albert actually had a very loving marriage and family life.

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Sites”