FAM + Diaphragm question

What's available, do's and don'ts.
MrsG
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 1st, 2014

FAM + Diaphragm question

Postby MrsG » Thu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

I chart my cycle with the Fertility Awareness Method and use a diaphragm during fertile days. As far as I know, FAM teaches that sperm can live up to 5 days in fertile cervical fluid. So why are you able to take a diaphragm (with spermicide in it) in and out without resilient sperm getting in as you re-insert it?

Sometimes we have sex twice a day and I still have the diaphragm in from the first time. I've been taking it out, washing it, reapplying spermicide and using it again. Is this risky? What should I do instead if so?

MrsG
Twin size

Re: FAM + Diaphragm question

Postby MrsG » Thu May 04, 2017 4:09 pm

ETA: I feel like the answer to my question is probably "spermicide" but the process still feels risky to me .... it seems like when you're TTA all you can think about are millions of sperm and how it only takes one, and when you're TTC all you can think of is the one single egg you have each month.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Fri May 05, 2017 7:59 am

We used a diaphragm for the first two years or so of our marriage until DW started getting bad reactions to the spermacide.

I think your spermacide explanation is spot-on. But unless things have changed from 35 years ago, this is a potential no-no:
Sometimes we have sex twice a day and I still have the diaphragm in from the first time. I've been taking it out, washing it, reapplying spermicide and using it again. Is this risky? What should I do instead if so?
You are supposed to leave the diaphragm in at least so many hours after intercourse to give the spermacide time to do its thing. Five hours IIRC, but don't trust me on this. If you want to do it again before the 5 hours or whatever is up, you are supposed to insert more spermacide without removing the diaphragm. The spermacide came with a tool for doing this.

You are playing the odds with a diaphragm and most other forms of birth control. If a few sperm cells get by, the chances of them finding the egg is nil. I don't think it is like the cartoon depictions of a school of tadpoles homing in on the egg. They probably just swim around at random until they bump into the egg or exhaust their fuel supply. It's quite a journey from the vagina, thru the cervix, thru the uterus, and into the fallopian tube -- the correct fallopian tube no less. No wonder we need a half-billion of them to get the job done.

I have read that a diaphragm WITHOUT spermacide is somewhat effective. It would limit the number of sperm cells going thru the cervix.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

MrsG
Twin size

Postby MrsG » Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks. I wonder though how you can use a diaphragm again a day later, much less the recommended five hours, if sperm can survive multiple days? I know diaphragms are often recommended by women who use FAM/NFP but I've never heard this explained!

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Well, I don't think sperm will survive multiple days if you use spermacide.

If you don't use spermacide, I guess the diaphragm would cause more to seep back out of the vagina. Also, sperm would be most potent just after ejaculation. Blocking it for a few hours would slow it down and lessen the chance of getting pregnant.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

jude700
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 19th, 1997

Postby jude700 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 am

NFP is staying in God's plan for marriage. Some have heard of babies born holding IUDs. The babies hold the IUD to keep it from being implanted preventing birth. When does intelligence and pain start :?:
0vulation-calculator/spinnbarkeit is an excellent way of determining fertility. Some brides plan the marriages on this day, only to have IC interrupted, and they still get impregnated! That may be the last time the couple have IC, for various reasons, until the bride has the pregnancy confirmed. Then they have further IC without any stress :LOL: Some couples use NFP to space their children and still have LARGE families, MORE than 7, others have less than 5. It seems that the larger families always have enough resources to more than get by.

When different methods of BC are used and fail, some couples finish by using abortion. This has been known to make the woman infertile :!: Abortions have also caused the deaths of many women.

Born 1937, Father of five, brother of FOUR SISTERS who have FIVE BROTHERS, AND we have numerous cousins :LOL:
He is risen!

Return to “Birth Control”