HPV Vaccine Marketing

What science can tell us about sex.
Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

HPV Vaccine Marketing

Postby Leah » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:46 pm

I can't begin to tell you how angry I am over the new commercials for the HPV vaccine. They are teens/young adults who became infected through their own choices. "Mom, did you know?" Yes, as a matter of fact, I did know. When the vaccine first came out, I declined to have it given to our daughter, then we had the following conversation:

Honey, the doctor talked to me about the vaccine for HPV. Here is the information about this vaccine and the disease it is supposed to prevent. This is a disease people get from having unprotected sex with someone who is infected with the disease. You now have some choices to make. If you choose to take the vaccine, you also choose the risks of the vaccine itself, which is new and undetermined. And you will pay for it yourself. If you choose to have unprotected sex, then you are choosing that set of risks. Please make your choices very carefully.

It frustrates me no end that we are telling kids they can make whatever choices they want to make without also making the choice about the risks and consequences. As it happens, the doctor and I had several conversations, and so did dd and I.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

beekeeper
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 12th, 1981

Re: HPV Vaccine

Postby beekeeper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:22 pm

I applaud your stance.

:)

SquarePants
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:37 pm

On the other hand, there’s a good chance that the person they marry will have had at least one other partner. If so, then there will still be risks associated with sex with their future spouse. The vaccine could affect what happens to them as an adult as well, either directly or indirectly through their spouse.

For me, it’s similar to teaching teenagers about birth control. Yes, there’s a small chance that it will be the deciding factor in some people opting to have sex. However, it will arguably prevent MANY more HPV infections. Of all the reasons for teenagers not to have sex, I don’t think that the risk of HPV is first or even second on many people’s list.

Lots of well-intentioned Christians set out to avoid premarital sex (see the TMB poll), but whether you call it a slip-up or rebellion, the consequences can be with them for the rest of their lives.

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:17 pm

And that would be the choice of a woman about to be married. If she's marrying someone with a history, she can be vaccinated and go on with her life. I just think that it is irresponsible to shame parents for the medical choices they made for their children, when it is the teen's/young adult's choice that gives them a disease.

Did I know? Sure. So did dd. We made our choices, and she made hers.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Sounds very reasonable Leah.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

MyWifesMan
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 25th, 1989

Postby MyWifesMan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:54 am

What really bothers me is the typical assertion: "Well, you KNOW they're going to do it anyway!"

doug-h
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 20th, 1982

Postby doug-h » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:02 am

As long as we are being honest, lets admit the commercial has very little to do with shaming anyone. It is manipulation, plain and simple. It was created by some PR firm with the intent of coercing people into accepting a product with an un-proven benefit, to generate maximum revenue. It has nothing to do with morality, and if there was another message that they thought would work better, they would have used it. They don't care. It is all about money. They would have told you that HPV was sneaked into the drinking water by aliens if it would have served the purpose.

If you are going to be outraged, be outraged at the whole stinking system, of selling drugs on TV. That includes TRT treatment for those who don't need it, and any number of other drugs that they can get into your head to want, whether you need them or not. If they were concerned about you being well, an epi pen would not cost $600.

I'm not saying that drugs are bad(some really are, tho), but this system of advertising them on TV to make you want to buy them, is beyond disgusting to me. Just a different Pusher, dressed up in infomercials, instead of hanging out on street corners and dark alleys.

neilethere
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 18th, 2000
Location: The land down under ...... where women glow and men ppplllllunder

Postby neilethere » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:40 am

Didn't I read something the other day saying 25% of American college students suffer some sort of sexual assault? Obviously the rate of actual rape is less than that ......... but you understand why I raise the issue.

Epi-pens prescribed by a doctor are less than $100 in Australia and the HPV vaccine is included in the free vaccination program paid for out of Federal Taxes. You can opt out of that one if you want - actually you can opt out of all of them but your kids can't get a whole heap of things if you do.

Leah
Under the stars

Re: HPV Vaccine Marketing

Postby Leah » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:12 am

Again, it is the marketing that bothers me. We made an informed decision and our daughter made her informed decision. Now she has four children and can make those choices for them.

Yes, we knew, and we chose not to vaccinate her against HPV. She also knew.

I do not like it when drug marketers use guilt to try to get people to give their children drugs or vaccines that have high risks of side effects. The choices of a teen or young adult play a role in that person's health, too.
Leah

MayDayGirl
Hammock

Postby MayDayGirl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:14 am

I'm pro-vaccine but I agree with you, Leah. The commercial is ridiculous. As parents, we all have to make choices for our minors, and the vast majority of us are doing what we think is best. To have a drug company lay a guilt trip on us is reprehensible.

It's interesting that out of all the vaccines that save people's lives, they focus on one of the most preventable diseases. They could just have easily shown a deaf child who didn't get the MMR or meningitis vaccine. I suppose they chose the vaccine that more people are resistant to getting for their children. Just ridiculous.

Dale

Postby Dale » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:54 am

I was appalled the first time I saw the commercial, and only got angrier later when I realized that it's a "double" commercial, where they show the girl first, and then the second one right after it with the boy. First time I saw it I only caught the second half.

As with Leah, when the vaccine came out and the doctor started recommending it, we spoke with each of our sons (both of whom are strong Christians and are now pursuing their own paths in ministry). We told them how you get the disease, and we didn't even have to push them into a choice at all, as they both said no to it very easily. They both knew the choices they had made to abstain and they stuck by them. I totally get that not everyone is going to be that strong, of course, but the underlying message of the drug company is, indeed, one of making the most bucks out of a commercial that is a blatant scare tactic. It's interesting that in every other drug commercial you hear a risk of side effects, but not in that one!

Dale

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:19 am

I haven't seen that particular commercial, so I'm commenting only on the concept. I fully agree. I once had a roommate come home with birth control pills, and she explained to me that she was on some medication that would be dangerous for the baby if she got pregnant, and the doctor wouldn't prescribe it without also prescribing the Pill. And my thought was "you know you don't actually fill the prescription, right? That there is also no 'risk to the baby' if you avoid pregnancy through abstinence?" It made me wonder if she was beginning to be sexually involved, and found that a convenient opportunity to be prepared just in case she indulged in sexual sin.

The HPV vaccine is an expensive drug with potentially serious side effects on a developing body, it protects for only a limited number of strains of HPV, and it offers protection in case a young person chooses to sin. It doesn't seem all that much different from putting a daughter on "the Pill" just in case (which I've heard of parents foolishly doing). It gives a child contradictory messages. On one hand you are saying "Live as Christ calls you to live, and don't do this" and on the other you are saying "I am so sure you are weak and sinful that I am going to pay a lot of money to protect you when you disobey God and us, your parents."

If this vaccine had been available when I was a teen, my parents wouldn't have chosen it--they wouldn't have made that sort of pre-emptive move offering me permission to sin, nor could they have afforded it. But let's say for the sake of argument that they had done so: It would have felt accusatory, like they didn't trust me, or like they were saying one thing but quietly granting permission. Further, it would have been totally unnecessary, and they would have wasted their money.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 am

I have no doubt that any and all of our ten children would have felt insulted and maligned if we had come to them with either an STD vaccine or contraceptives before they married and said "I know you are committed to abstinence, but I want/advise you to take these anyway, just in case." And yes, they have been educated about STDs and sex, and they know generally about birth control. However we don't get right down to the nitty gritty about contraception with them until 6 months or so before their weddings. We do have one son who had sex before marriage and his girlfriend became pregnant. They decided to marry, and we agreed (although did NOT push them into marriage) with their decision. Their baby was born to them as a married couple. Even so, if I could go back and do it over I would NOT have pushed any vaccines or contraception on him.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 am

I don't care for the marketing, either, although I am glad there is a vaccine. I had an HPV-related cancer scare about ten years ago. I'd already experienced so many other consequences from my long-ago sins, and the thought that I might die from them so many years later was tough--but I created the situation for myself.

Like SquarePants, I have often thought about the fact that the vaccine protects someone against a spouse's past. The presence of HPV may not be detected for many years, and it is possible to get the infection without intercourse.

When the vaccine came out and was offered to my daughter, I thought a great deal about how while I hoped she would marry someone without a past or who was at least honest about his past, I would hate to see her at risk of death because of someone else's sins. We left it up to her. She thought about it for several years, did her own research on the risks and consequences, and then decided that she should get vaccinated before she went to college so she would have one less thing to worry about if she were to be sexually assaulted.

It was her own informed decision, not a reaction to a shame-based marketing ploy.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:37 am

If I understand correctly, the chance somebody who gets the HPV virus developing cervical cancer from it is only a teeny bit higher than the chance of somebody else developing the same. Most HPV infections are cleared up by the immune system fairly quickly without the person even knowing they had it. Only in the rare cases of the virus hanging around for a long time is there any significant risk.
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:08 pm

seeking perspective wrote:Like SquarePants, I have often thought about the fact that the vaccine protects someone against a spouse's past.

I don't have an objection to there being a vaccine. I think it's good that an adult man or woman can choose to be vaccinated when they choose to marry someone with a past. That's an adult decision, and I can see great wisdom in it. Mature adults who remarry after they lose a spouse would be wise to consider it.

It is not the vaccine or the choice to vaccinate. It is the shame-based marketing as if a parent's choice somehow trumps a teen's choice. It's not like HPV can be transmitted by a sneeze or cough like some other universally dangerous diseases can.
Leah

Kilarin
Under the stars

Postby Kilarin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Haven't seen the commercial, it may be horrible, I'm not commenting on that, just making an observation about vaccines.

Vaccines don't WORK if only the "bad" (most at risk) people take them. In order to eradicate a disease, you vaccinate the entire herd, regardless of who is most at risk.

padsnd
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2004

Postby padsnd » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:52 pm

I haven't seen the commercial, but I agree that it sounds bad. Having said that I do support the use of some vaccines though I disagree with this one for a completely different reason than most would.

In my opinion patents are important but have gotten way out of hand. Too many things are now deemed patentable, and there are some limits that should exist even for things that should be patentable. If a drug is patentable, it should not be forced or even required except for a few exceptions. In fact, if a governmental entity (public schools, three letter agency, or state health organization) is doing anything more than a mild recommendation, the patent should be voided allowing for generics as this is now a "public safety need". Companies should not be able to reap the benefit of a government imposed monopoly (patent) while having the support of the government to require or strong encourage its sale to nearly all possible patients.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
padsnd

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Kilarin, we vaccinate for far too many things already. In vaccinating the whole "herd," why don't we go ahead and give everyone the rabies vaccine or vaccinations for diseases in Africa? Because not only are they unnecessary for most people, but it's harmful to put stuff in our body that we don't need.

And I've never understood the argument "You need to vaccinate your kid so my kid doesn't get sick." I'm not anti-vaccine, but it seems to me that if parents are so confident in the vaccines, they should be confident in them even if their kids are around unvaccinated children--or children who have the disease against which they are vaccinated. You just don't make parenting decisions for other people's children, unless those decisions are a true danger to people. The government has no such (God-given) authority.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

neilethere
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 18th, 2000
Location: The land down under ...... where women glow and men ppplllllunder

Postby neilethere » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 am

I think you will find their is a difference between 'herd' vaccines - for polio, whooping cough and etc - and 'personal' vaccines - hpv and tetanus - and how they work., poetess.

Epidemioligists will tell you for herd vaccines to work you need a big proportion of the herd to be vaccinated, plain and simple.

Dont forget the efficacy of vaccines wears off - you would have had more than one tetanus booster in your life along with more than one of the herd vaccines - and many vaccines are there to stop those most at risk of death or disability from the disease. Whooping cough is not unheard of in adults previously needled as children. It wont normally kill them but it will kill a child, for example.

For the record, with a socialised health care system in Australia we have very little in the way of advertising for prescribed medicines and none for things like vaccines, which sounds like a bonus if your ( collective) reports on this advertisement are true.

Return to “The Science of Sex”