Cross-cultural marriage

Stuff that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sex. This section will auto-prune.
soontobewifey
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 13th, 2017

Cross-cultural marriage

Postby soontobewifey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:41 am

Does anyone else here have a cross-cultural marriage or relationship? (if you're still engaged like me) :)

My FH is originally from China but has lived here in Australia in my city for the past 7 years. We will be having 2 weddings, one 'white wedding' and then a Chinese ceremony in his home city. Has anyone else had any experience with planning/having two different ceremonies? Looking for some tips haha
Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now...

MayDayGirl
Hammock

Re: Cross-cultural marriage

Postby MayDayGirl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 am

I recently attended the 'second' wedding in a cross-cultural marriage. They had first married in Tokoyo with only her family in attendance, a year prior. The second ceremony was more like a vow renewal and celebration here in the States. They incorporated some of her customs/culture (food, take home favor, and parts of their video) into the reception. It was really neat.

Lee816
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 5th, 2015

Re: RE: Cross-cultural marriage

Postby Lee816 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Do you mean Chinese only?

soontobewifey
Twin size

Re: RE: Cross-cultural marriage

Postby soontobewifey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:28 pm

No, any cross cultural marriage/wedding... or even any experiences you have had if you had more than one wedding ceremony :)

soontobewifey
Twin size

Postby soontobewifey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:29 pm

MayDayGirl wrote:I recently attended the 'second' wedding in a cross-cultural marriage. They had first married in Tokoyo with only her family in attendance, a year prior. The second ceremony was more like a vow renewal and celebration here in the States. They incorporated some of her customs/culture (food, take home favor, and parts of their video) into the reception. It was really neat.

That sounds awesome! Did she wear the same dress at both weddings or have one more traditiona/Japanese?

Lee816
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 5th, 2015

Postby Lee816 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:39 pm

My dh is Puerto Rican and I am white. But we didn't have a wedding we eloped

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 am

I am White from the USA and my wife is from the Orient. But we had just one ceremony, here (seeing I was paying for everything). We flew her parents here.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

MisterV
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 24th, 2008

Postby MisterV » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:38 am

White guy married to a Central American woman here for almost 10 years.
We did two ceremonies because I wanted to make sure her family was honored. Note that if one of you is not a permanent resident or citizen yet marital status can affect immigration, so make sure your wedding plans don't mess up your ability to live together. Mixing cultural stuff in the ceremony is neat and nice, a little explanation helps your guests understand what it is and why.

Also make sure you are sharing about your cultural expectations after you're married. There's lots of stuff that isn't necessarily discussed but can feel a bit weird if your spouse "does things differently." Watching during trips is good, but discuss it as well because some things your spouse might not want to bring into your marriage (a number of Latino men have habits that my wife would not be interested in). BTW this is primarily things other than sex, though sexual expectations are also important to discuss (safely...)

Miscellaneous
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 18th, 2010

Postby Miscellaneous » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Our church supports a missionary who met his wife while serving in Gabon in west Africa. Per tradition they had THREE weddings: a civil legal ceremony, a Christian ceremony, and a traditional African ceremony (I'm blanking on which country she is from).

stixclub7
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 10th, 2000

Postby stixclub7 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi soontobewifey

I am in a cross cultural marriage. When I got married we had an American pastor do the majority of the ceremony but my wife also had her Korean pastor do some of the ceremony.

Return to “Wedding Talk”